Questions You NEED to Ask When Choosing a Photographer
Updated: May 26, 2021
If you have gone down the rabbit hole of Pinterest or Instagram when looking at wedding photographers, you probably have noticed that there are a lot of incredible photographers to choose from. How do you know if they are the right one for your wedding though?
Here are a list of questions to ask when talking to a potential wedding photographer. This will help narrow down whether or not they would be a good fit for your wedding.
1. Do you have my date available?
2. Will you be the one shooting my wedding? If not, can I meet the photographer who will be on-site?
3. How many other weddings will you photograph that weekend?
4. Will you have any assistants with you on our wedding day?
1. How long have you been shooting weddings? How many weddings have you photographed?
2. Do you often shoot weddings that have a similar size and style to the one we are planning?
3. Can we see the full galleries of a few of your recent weddings?
4. Have you ever shot a wedding at our ceremony and reception venue? If not, do you plan to check the venues out in advance?
1. How would you describe your photography style? Light and Airy, Dramatic or True to Life?
2. How would you describe your working style? Do you prefer to blend into the background to capture candid moments, or do you like to be more visible and take charge to choreograph images?
3. Do you shoot digitally? With film? Or both?
Pricing and Packages
1. What is included in your standard package? What add-ons do the more expensive packages include?
2. Can I customize a package to fit my needs?
3. Do you include engagement photos in your packages?
4. How many hours are included in each package? How much do extra hours cost?
5. Do you offer retouching, color adjustment, or other corrective services? Are those included or an additional charge?
6. Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
Prints and Albums
1. Can we order prints or albums directly from you?
2. What type of album do you offer? Do you provide assistance selecting images and designing the album?
3. Are albums or prints included in your packages? How many pages or prints are included, and what is the turnaround time?
4. How long after the wedding will we receive the images? How will they be delivered?
5. Will we have the rights to the images?
6. Will we receive the negatives and/or high resolution digital images? Is there a fee for that?
7. Will the images be accessible online? For how long?
1. How much of a deposit do you require? When is it due?
2. Do you accept payments in installations?
3. What is your refund or cancellation policy?
4. Do you have liability insurance? Does it cover your assistants, as well?
5. Do you carry backup equipment?
6. What is the backup plan if you are unable to shoot my wedding for an unexpected reason?
7. How will you and your assistants be dressed?
8. Can we request a list of specific shots we would like?
9. Will you be posting about our wedding on your website and social media? Will you be submitting our photos to magazines or blogs?
10. When do you arrive the day of the wedding?
11. Does travel time between the different sites (getting ready, ceremony and reception) count towards the hours in our package?
1. Do your personalities jibe? Would you be comfortable grabbing drinks with this photographer?
2. Do you feel a connection with his/her photos?
3. Did the photographer listen well and address all of your concerns?